Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Holiday Decorations

Now that we have a place that we're going to be in for a while, Erin has decided it's about time we decorate for holidays.

Joseph had a grand time playing with his Fisher Price nativity set that Grandma had given him for Christmas, and Erin thought it would be nice if we had some child-friendly decorations for other holidays.

The marketing department at Fisher-Price had similar thoughts, and has designed play sets for every holiday imaginable (we're still waiting on that Guy Fawkes play set, though, so it looks like the kids will have to make do with homemade effigies for the time being).

Erin looked into these online and ordered the first one right before Valentine's, so that Joseph could appreciate the holiday.

I hadn't really thought much about the concept, so imagine my surprise when this showed up on our doorstep, for my son:


Erin: Did the Valentine playset come today?
the Toddster:
Erin: "It's not that girly."
the Toddster:
Erin: "We'll have daughters one day."
the Toddster:
Erin: "It didn't look that pink in the pictures."
the Toddster:
Erin:

Not surprisingly, Joseph likes getting new things (I guess he takes after his father in that regard), and he figured out that Valentine's had something to do with kissing:



One day, I found Joseph playing with the Valentine playset, so I watched him for a while. My heart swelled with pride as I watched him crash his truck through the window of the sweet shop ice cream parlor.

That's when I knew that all those YouTube clips of the A-Team I've had him watching were paying off.

Disclaimer: After making that last joke, I had to repeatedly promise Erin that I don't watch the A-Team with Joseph (even though historically more people have died on Sesame Street than on the A-Team). For the record: The baby has never watched clips of the A-Team on YouTube--I looked, but I couldn't find any. (That part was also a joke).

Fortunately, Erin never asked me about Rambo or Chuck Norris clips (That part may not have been a joke).

2 comments:

Charity said...

Nurture or nature on gender...Caleb's favorite colors are pink and brown and he loves to put on my make up, wear headbands and get his hair done (despite the porcupine appearance in all photos). Sometimes I wonder but he does his share of demolition as well.

Nancy said...

Well of course my favorite matchmaker GETS that Valentine's Day has something to do with kissing!

How, by the way, can I make this thing only put my first name so that I don't look like such a nerd when I comment!?@!)(*@&