Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Sound Check

Erin and I are slow to claim that our child talks, but we feel comfortable saying that Joseph indisputably says the following words as an 18-month old:

tzat? (what's that?)
Joseph says this dozens, if not hundreds, of times everyday. He points at anything, and sometimes nothing, and repeats "Tzat? Tzat?" until you respond. We try to do it back to him, but he just points at something else and asks, "Tzat?"

clock
For some reason this was one of his first words. He always liked climbing on our bed and pulling the alarm clock off the nightstand. Last month, I had a 48-hour period where the clock didn't need resetting.

bubble
Blowing bubbles on the balcony is one of our favorite pastimes

golf ball
I've never been prouder

golf club
He says this when he plays with his plastic golf clubs. He will also point at my computer and say this because the wallpaper is the picture from his first birthday where he's holding his golf club. Whenever he finds a golf magazine or sees golf on tv he also announces this.

The other week we were driving past a golf course where he saw some men playing golf and he yelled it out from the backseat.

He also says this whenever he sees my clubs, which of late have spent way too much time in the garage.

Nye-Nye ("Night, Night")
He says this when we put him down to sleep in his crib. Sometimes he repeats it until we leave the room and close the door. He also says it to toys when he lays them down to sleep. It's really sweet to watch him because he kisses his toys and then gently puts them down and waves goodbye as he says "nigh, nigh."

hot
Joseph points at the stove, the microwave, anything that came out of the stove or microwave, candles, and the heater and says this.

Sometimes he'll point at random foods (e.g., applesauce, cereal) on his tray and say "hot," so "hot" also apparently means "food" regardless of its temperature. He'll also try to tell us that he wants food by saying "hot."

no
This comes up in response to "Should I turn on the vacuum?" as well as in response to a lot of other questions or suggestions.

Joseph will also point at things he wants but doesn't have and say "no," as in "I don't have that. No this is not what should be going on."

When he's about to do something he shouldn't (such as touch electrical outlets) he'll also say "no. no." and then do it.

mom/dad
He now identifies his parents by name. But when he was little his sad noise was "ma, ma, ma" and his excited/happy noise was "da da da." I tried to encourage these associations as much as possible.

more
One night, I had him saying "mo plee" (more please), but I think he just thought that meant "give me more pasta" so he doesn't pull that one out anymore.

foo-BALL!!!!!
He yells this when he sees football on television. I love my son

"la la la"
Recently Joseph has added "La La La" as well. This sound has at least two meanings depending on the context and Joseph's tone.

Whenever a helicopter flies overhead he points to the sky and says rhythmically "La La La," which is the sound that helicopter blades make. He'll also do this sometimes when airplanes fly overhead, but not always.

"La La la" said in a higher pitched sing-song voice is code for "Elmo." Joseph discovered Elmo sometime during the last month and gets really excited whenever he sees him. Elmo has a theme song (as we all should) where he starts off singing "la la la la." Joseph's "la la's" aren't to any particular tune (sort of like his dad's singing).

Misc.
Our pediatrician also claims that animal sounds are words as well, so in that case we've got a menagerie of additional words.

He has a word for "closet" that sometimes sounds like "quack" and other times sounds like "clock." He says it consistently, but Joseph struggles with the "cl" sound for some reason in this word.

Joseph says "hi" when we say "hi" to him, but he just thinks that's a fun noise game we play at random times.

8 comments:

Crystal said...

He is clearly destined for greatness. First Mormon President - well, unless Mitt Romney beats him to it(its the only notable first I could think of for Joseph - first white guy president was already taken). I'll add it to my list of reasons not to vote for Mitt. I'll vote for Joseph someday though...even if he is a Republican.

Charity said...

We have a Christmas card to send you--what's your address?

Todd said...

Crystal, you're weakening.

Actually, it's funny that you mention this. The other day I was trying to figure out Joseph's political leanings, so I turned off the tv and started to ask him about his views on healthcare reform.

He wasn't really seeing the importance of the discussion, so I said, "Joseph, let's pretend that Bob the Builder gets hit by a bulldozer while on the job. It turns out that his injuries are so severe that he can't work any more. The medical bills start to pile up and his insurance company eventually drops him from coverage."

Joseph rolled his eyes as if to say, "Whatever Dad. How long has Bob the Builder been on the air? He's totally union, and besides there's no way his pension benefits haven't fully vested by now."

I say to him, "No, no. That's not the point… OK. OK. Let's say that one day, Handy Manny doesn't listen to Rusty the Wrench's advice and loses a limb. Now Handy Manny is out of a job, and as an independent contractor, he can't afford adequate insurance."

I could see a light turn on.

Once Joseph was able to put a face to the problem, he started to think about things differently. From there, we went into a thoughtful discussion debating the inefficiencies of government programs and the strangle-hold of insurance companies on the healthcare industry.

By the end of our discussion, I still wasn't certain which way Joseph leans politically. He seems to be a fan of limited government spending (who isn’t?), but recognizes that our healthcare system has some serious flaws.

After we had been talking for a while, he looked at the tv, then at me, then at the remote, and then back at me as if to say, "Can we just go back to watching television?"

As I pressed the power switch, I looked him in the eyes and said, "Yes. Yes, we can."


Now who says you can’t learn anything from children’s programming???

(P.S. Crystal, even though we’re not certain as to his party affiliation yet, we’ve taken the liberty of forming a PAC. We’ll be sending out donation letters presently.)

Kiersten White said...

TODD. That comment deserves its own post. So great.

And you forget that last time we visited I taught Joseph to say Lena and Jojo. He ignored my attempts at Favorite Aunt Kiersten, though.

Crystal said...

Wow Todd, clearly you have been thinking about this. I have to add one exception to my voting for Joseph. If my Joseph is running against him on the Democratic ticket, I will have to vote for my own son. I think that's a law or something...

Erin said...

ok, but if your joseph is running on the republican ticket (and our joseph democrat) -- then what?!?!?

Nancy said...

"Our pediatrician also claims that animal sounds are words as well, so in that case we've got a menagerie of additional words." Todd, this might be the most well crafted sentence in the history of blog writing. I love Joseph! It's so fun to read all about him here.

And it's good to know that Joseph's been thinking about his stance on some important issues, although now that Obama's at the helm I'm sure we'll all be in great shape by the time Joseph's 35and eligible to run. We'll all have jobs from which we can never be fired, homes for which we can just pay whatever we think we can afford, and excellent health care, I'm sure.

Hope you guys are all doing well! I'm still so bugged that I'm going to miss you guys over the holidays!! Bah humbug!

Dev and Laur said...

you update this thing way to much...

I love it. I think we could all learn a thing or two from Erin and Todd.