Friday, December 26, 2008

In Between Christmases

In between Joseph's First Christmas (of 2008) and his second, we stopped by a nearby house, where the owner (a retired mini-golf mogul) turns his yard and house into Santa's village. He opens up his home to the entire community, and thousands of people from all over show up on the nights leading up to Christmas. Each child that comes can take home a present from Santa, and they have refreshments for everyone. Erin first learned about the house from a co-worker, and then we happened to hear more about it at church, so we decided to check it out for ourselves.


Looking back, the pictures don't do it justice. It's remarkable. I love how it allows families to spend a fun evening out together without spending any money.


It was a lot of fun to see how much the kids (and everyone) enjoyed being there.


Also, after going through these pictures, I discovered that--much like Brad Pitt's character in Ocean's 11--in pretty much every scene from this evening, it appears that Joseph has found something to eat (bet you didn't know that little bit of BP trivia, did you?)




I don't think there are many people with the resources to turn their homes into a mini-amusement park, but I know I walked away inspired to find ways to reach out more to my neighbors, and we had fun bonding as a family.


Also, this is probably my favorite picture of Joseph at Christmas. It reminds me of what Christmas felt like as little child:

3 comments:

Lizzy said...

Erin,
I am a friend of Autumn Humphries Iverson. I have a question for you about the Constitution. Why are some words in the Constitution capitalized?
Lizzy

Mama White said...

Look at me! I'm posting! Beautiful Christmas baby post--time for a January post, Toddster!

The Oregonians said...

You have your Mother (aka nanagoodsell) to blame for giving me access to your blog. I'm her "Uncle Dick Hiatt" who used to live in La Grande, Oregon, but now live in Sandy, Utah. Your Mom and I have been exchanging pictures of grand and great-grandchildren since we think it's okay to brag among family. Joseph is all boy -- great pictures. Thanks for letting us sneak a peak, even if you didn't.