Monday, June 16, 2008

To My Vast Readership: A Plea for Help



Every week we plan our grocery shopping list, and every week I pull out my hair trying to figure out what to have for dinner each night. I like to cook and I like to eat, but I don't like to decide what to have. I have a few tried-and-true things that we always have. I've ventured a few times recently just looking at cookbooks and made some things that took way too long, required way too many ingredients, and were way too not good. So I am making a MASTER LIST of meals that are pretty quick, pretty good, and pretty healthy. Then when we have to plan meals for the week, we can just scan the list and make choices instead of coming up with things from thin air.

Suggestions? What are some of your staple recipes and foods?

Also, I'm especially keen on ideas for food for the baby. Right now he eats a lot of: cheese, black beans, bananas, strawberries, mangos, peas, corn, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, grapes, graham crackers, cheerios, tortellini. He's not fond of carrots or cucumber. I've never put much thought into nutrition until now and I want to give him a healthy, varied diet. What are some other good soft foods for babies?

6 comments:

Liz said...

Okay, so, in light of my recent post on our blog, I'm really not much help for your master list.

But, I do know what my kids like to eat. I had a friend in Utah who, whenever she came for play dates, would raid my cupboards for snack/food ideas for her kids. I would do the same at her house. It's easy to get stuck in a rut. You could try avocado, that's a really healthy fat and a great source of fiber. I make shakes for my kids that have fruit, spinach, ground up seeds and nuts, and sometimes avocado in them. They love them! You could make whole wheat waffles/pancakes. I have a recipe that makes tons and tons so you can freeze them and just pop them in the toaster when you want to eat them. My kids love quesadillas (not the healthiest thing in the world). Well, that's about all I can think of right now. If I come up with anything else, I'll let you know! :)

Erin said...

ooh, thanks for the ideas, liz. the shake is a good idea. sometimes i make something similar for myself, and i never thought to give some to him, but he loves jamba juice, so i think he'd like it.

and i'll have to get the waffles recipe from you.

bethy said...

Hi Erin,
I think that that's great if your little guy already eats all of those things. It is a struggle to find anything that Gracie will eat. To me it sounds like you don't have too much to worry about.

Bethany Overton

Anonymous said...

I do the same with pancakes, I even put them in bags and take them as snacks. I do almond butter and jelly sandwiches a lot, soups with bread chunks and feed him with a spoon, french toast, all sorts of smoothies, yogurt with brown rice cake pieces mixed in, cereal with milk from a spoon, mini pizzas (i sneak veggies in under the cheese, like broccoli, or anything), lindsay does omelettes for seth and sneaks in veggies. We also try to give him whatever we're eating. I love that you have a blog now! It's a pleasure to see Joseph's chunky cheeks any time I want.

Crystal said...

I will have to e-mail a few of my quick and easy dinner recipes. But the real point of my comment is to tell you that your post gave me hope that someday within the next year I may actually find time to cook a real meal. For the last 8 weeks our dinners involve take out or frozen meals that my mom made when she was down right after Joseph was born. Joseph pretty much demands I stay by his side all day and since the kitchen isn't a great place for a newborn to nap, there is not much cooking going on in our household.

Erin said...

oh, crystal, i sooooo did not cook for the first several months after joseph was born. we ate out all of the time. the key to eventually being able to cook was: baby einstein videos, which he loved to watch; an exersaucer that he liked to play in (and kept him safe and sound); and, once he could sit up well, he was better at entertaining himself.

now it is getting harder to cook because everytime i open the cupboards, fridge, oven, anything, he makes a mad dash to get into them, and he also spends lots of time climbing on my legs otherwise hindering cooking activity.