Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Burgled!

So last week, sometime between Wednesday night and Friday morning, we were burgled. I know "burgled" sounds dorky, but in law school I learned that "robbery" is only when someone actually takes something off your person. When someone breaks into a home, it's burglary. Since then, I've felt compelled to use the words appropriately, even though it pains me to do so. Anyway, yep, someone broke into our LOCKED GARAGE and stole various items out of it and our car. So, if someone tries to sell you various pairs of sunglasses, an I-pod, a GPS, some tupperware, or some quarters, S/HE MIGHT BE THE BURGLAR so please notify the police. We of course filed a police report mostly just to put it on record. As they informed us, there were no witnesses, no suspects, and no evidence. So, we are plumb out of luck.

But this is what we think the burglar probably looks like.



Our landlady is installing a deadbolt tomorrow, so hopefully Todd can start sleeping peacefully again. The garage is not attached to the house so we don't feel too violated, but it's still icky to know that someone was rifling through our belongings in our garage. And from now on, we are locking our car even when it is in a locked garage (which we didn't do before). Be ye therefore warned.

2 comments:

Kiersten White said...

Erin, that's awful! I'm sorry. How creepy...

I lost my keys yesterday and was so paranoid that by the time we got back in to our apartment (we were locked out) the laptop, phones, cameras, etc would be gone. But lucky for us, some lady found them where I left them still stuck in our mailbox (yes, thanks, I am an IDIOT) and rather than looking at our address and robbing us blind, she took them to the office. Thank you, honest and wonderful mystery lady.

Erin said...

oooh scary. todd's dad had me convinced that someone had our key and that's how they got in, and while we were in LA i was all freaked out that our apartment would be gutted when we got home. but it wasn't.