Monday, March 8, 2010

Natural Nurturer

Todd and I wanted to bring Joseph a present home with us when we brought Audrey home from the hospital. I had been pushing to get Joseph a baby doll for some time -- I thought that he would like "taking care" of his doll as we took care of Audrey. Todd was a little reluctant but finally caved.

Joseph did enjoy the doll at first -- he dubbed her "Marjorie," fed her, changed her diaper (and took it to the dumpster to pretend to throw it away), and gave her a pacifier the first night. He even utilized the boppy to aid his nurturing:


By the next day, however, he had basically lost interest in Marjorie and went back to his trains, cars, and the awesome stretchy snakes/lizards/frogs that his grandma brought him from Utah. But I'm happy to report that he's still manifesting his nurturing skills in caring for his lizards -- he brings them blankets when they are cold, makes sure they are fed, and even attempted to breastfeed one of them the other day:


(You can see Todd's mortification in the background.)

I'm grateful for my two nurturing boys. I love the below picture because they are both looking at Audrey with such love:

Although sometimes I get a little stressed that Audrey will not survive Joseph's "love" (and, at rare times, jealousy) unscathed, she is so lucky to be growing up with such a sweet big brother who loves telling her "I love you so much," giving her hugs, and "being gentle to her."

5 comments:

Nancy K. said...

I like having you home, Erin! More posts. Audrey and Joseph are both just adorbale. Nice work!

patdwhite said...

Oh I love that boy! I remember how pleased you were to be able to hold Kiersten or help us with her.



I miss my little ones.....

Mama White said...

Love my little lactating grandson! Beautiful pictures--thanks for the post.

LaurenHoya said...

Okay, Marjorie? That's amazing. Where did he get that?

Todd's face is priceless in pic 2. That's amazing.

And what an amazing little family! I hope you've evened out the score now, parents vs. children.

I need to visit soon! I'm globe hopping until the end of April, but May?

Dev and Laur said...

Oh he is so sweet! They are both so sweet! I love your babies!