Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Road Trip I: The Prequel

We are pretty much on the verge of giving up on the blog -- been working ten-plus hour days since I started back to work last week, and things are looking to get even worse in the next month. But, I would be remiss not to blog about our big road trips that we took while I was still on my maternity leave. So.

We decided to do a "mini" road trip to Bryce National Park and Zion National Park on our way home from my parents' house in Utah. This was a test run to see if we thought the kids could handle a much longer road trip from San Diego to Seattle and back. Needless to say (since we ended up doing the San Diego - Seattle trip), it was a huge hit!

Joseph was a great little hiker some of the time. Other times he liked to be carried. Still other times, he liked to get "hiking sticks" that were about 6 inches long and actually made hiking far, far more difficult because we all had to crouch down to the ground to use the hiking sticks. But he really enjoyed it and I was pleasantly surprised at how accessible the Parks were even to families with young children like us. We were able to see a lot of amazing things without killing ourselves toting our kids around.

I'm going to let the following quotes from Joseph speak for themselves, and then just post a bunch of pictures that I will not bother to caption or explain or anything. Enjoy!

Joseph's Quotes

(these also include quotes from the stay at Grandma's house):

"I was looking into Kiki's [my parents' cat] beautiful eyes and eyelashes, and she was tickling me with her claws and teeth!"

"I forgive you, daddy." (Said to Todd after a time-out.)

"Did grandpa have a bug cake, too?" (Said in response to us telling him it was his grandpa Goodsell's birthday the day after his.)

"I want to hear the stream say, 'Give-oh'." (Said while hiking in Zion.)

"This is a nice swordfish, not a mean one." (Said about the imaginary swordfish he caught in the Virgin River.)

"Is this bus [the shuttle in Zion] taking us to Joseph's house?"

"Hoodoos [rock formations in Bryce] are amazing and cool."

"At one point, I saw a T-rex." (Reflecting on a trip to the dinosaur museum.)

Bryce:

















Zion:


















7 comments:

gurrbonzo said...

What a trip! You are brave. And Audrey's smile is KILLING ME.

Crystal said...

You mean you are giving up the blog because you are being committed to a mental institution? You must be crazy to brave hiking with a 3 year old and 4 month old. CRAZY CRAZY CRAZY.

Dev and Laur said...

The Kiki comment is still my ultimate favorite thing Joseph has ever said..besides his "and at one point". Devin and I still quote that all the time.
And I love imagining you guys walking around with 6inch sticks. Awesome!

PS. Todd sent me a picture of Audrey on the swing, her hair just takes my breath away. I love her so much!

Kiersten White said...

Look, Erin, I've been trying to think of a nice thing to say, but it'd be a lot easier if Audrey would be pleasant and smile once in a while, or if Joseph would ever say anything remotely entertaining or cute.

It's not like you have the most freaking adorable and sweet baby girl ever and a ridiculously funny and cute little boy.

Mama White said...

Hey--I promise, promise, when I first read this blog I tried to leave a comment but this thing popped up that said Safari cannot open this site!!! This computer does that sometimes.I love the picture of Joseph fishing for nice swordfish in the Virgin river. These pictures make me miss May and Southern Utah and my grandbabies! Kierst sent a text that said Audrey's hair is crazy curly. I'm hoping to see you all the end of August! Love you!

Nancy K. said...

Adorable! Please don't give up on the blog! Hope you guys are all doing well!

Nancy K. said...

Adorable! Please don't give up on the blog! Hope you guys are all doing well!