Monday, June 22, 2009

Fat Communist

Usually Todd does an amazing job keeping Joseph handsome, well-groomed, and well-dressed. Every once in a while, however, I come home to find Joseph in an outfit that makes me embarrassed for him.

For example:



These shorts are (1) too small and (2) clearly not meant to be worn with tucked-in shirts. I think he looks sort of like a communist or young German schoolboy or something.

But he was happy enough to wear them in public to the park. He was also happy to wear them riding his new tricycle.




Our big birthday present to Joseph was this tricycle. It's very well-made (German, so I suppose the outfit is fitting) and a big selling point for Todd was that it will sustain up to 400 pounds of weight. I guess Todd is worried about Joseph getting really really fat.

I'm not too worried given that the kid has not put on a pound since he turned 1. But, considering his diet at times, I guess it's possible.

Joseph recently went through a difficult phase where he did not want to eat ANYTHING. It is particularly bad when we are traveling and he's more interested in new surroundings than eating. My family can attest to the fact that I would chase him around the house when we were in Utah trying to feed him cookies, cake, anything that he would eat because I was worried he was starving to death. Todd's family found this solution:



Yep, Trix and French Fries. Yum!

Even at home, his tastes are odd. He's really taken with salt lately, and did this to a potato and then said, "salt! yum!"



He also likes to get into the pantry and dig around for the yellow bag he knows contains CHOCOLATE (chips), so we have to hide them now. So it's comforting to know that Joseph will still be able to ride his tricycle for many, many years, and many, many pounds, to come.

4 comments:

Crystal said...

Hahahaha! I vote German schoolboy. Actually, Joseph has this German toy that has a kid on the box that looks just like that!

Has he really not gained any weight since age 1? That makes me feel better about Joseph. He refuses to eat anything but snacks that I feed him while he runs around. His current favorite is Wheat Thins. I make an attempt at "meals" which is basically me shovelling pureed foods in his mouth while he screams for 10 minutes.

Kiersten White said...

Okay, that 400 lbs comment made me laugh out loud, which I really needed today. I love your boy.

Mama White said...

Actually, he looks like his Uncle Matt dressed him. Which communist does he look like--Lenin,Castro, or Chairman Mao? Erin, you are a hoot and your boys are too cute!

Dev and Laur said...

I smiled the whole blog, and then threw up at the end. At Joseph's salt intake rate...he will be 400 lbs before he grows out of that tricycle. You have a very wise hubby.